Sunday, August 8, 2010

Remember that one time I couldn't move in the morning? yeah me too....

In hindsight yesterday might have been a little bit to much running around for my own good. When I woke p for mass this morning I couldn't move to turn my alarm off because I was so sore from my gorge scaling adventure and swim, but do not fret, I was able to get out of bed in time for mass at 11.

After mass I went with Liz and Maria to the pow wow, well, to outside the pow wow. Liz has family out here that was working cooking food at the pow wow (her dad was adopted by a family when he was working out here as a volunteer). It was really wonderful to be out in the community. The two little girls, sage and beans (which is a nick name for the record) set out on a mission, and it was to get us wet and muddy. We went down to the stream and it started as us racing leaves under the bridge but quickly escalated to being ankle deep in some crazy mud. I wont lie though, it was totally fabulous.

Once we managed to escape from the creek we went with the girls to the carnival section of the pow wow. They really wanted us to come on rides, but we were not interested in tossing up breakfast and lunch all over them. In the end I went down the fun slide, Maria rode the tea cups, and Liz who was unsuccessful in dodging rides ended up on the bullet... upside down. It was amazing just to be living in the moment and feeding of the joy that everyone had.

We also had Indian tacos at the pow wow, only Maria and I are both vegetarian which proved to be a challenge. At first they thought maybe we just wanted fry bread and nothing else, but after some communicating we convinced them to give us everything but the meat. It was pretty fantastic.

Tonight was spent eating dinner as a volunteer community, and talking about the pillar of community as a volunteer program. It was really great to hear so many people with so many similar ideas and goals for the year, I know it will not always be easy, but I am very excited for the best efforts we will be making to live as a community this year.

I am currently practicing self care (Greta I hope you see this!) and putting myself to bed. I hope you are all enjoying a peaceful evening!

"I carry you with me into the world,
into the smell of rain
& the words that dance between people
& for me, it will always be this way,
walking in the light,
remembering being alive together"                                  ~ Story People 

No comments:

Post a Comment